_____ _____ Western Sahara

Global Sourcebook for International Data Management

                                         by Graham Rhind



This resource costs about € 500 per month to host and maintain. Help me to keep it updated and free for all by donating as little as € 1 at Ko-Fi here. Alternatively, use one of these links to make purchases at Amazon.com or Amazon.co.uk, for which I receive a small remuneration at no cost to yourself. Thank you

Western Sahara

Global Sourcebook | Index | Properties

Morocco occupies most of the territory of Western Sahara, which has rebels fighting for independence (there is currently a cease-fire). Mail destined for Western Sahara will be addressed via the Moroccan postal system. Morocco controls around 80% of Western Sahara. The remaining 20% (along the border with Mauritania) is controlled by the Polisario rebels.

For supplementary information, see links to post office home pages here External, to postal code pages here External and to other personal name and addressing issues pages here External.

//Source: Wikipedia//

Table of Contents

Western Sahara - Country information


Local short name form

Official name





International telephone access code


ISO 3166 country codes

Car nationality plate code

Internet country code


GRC Country Code


For full information, please refer to the chapter on Morocco.

Western Sahara - Number format

   Note: This section last updated 25th June 2021

(where . indicates the decimal separator and , the thousands separator)


(where ٬ indicates the decimal separator and ٫ the thousands separator)

Western Sahara - Date and time formats


   Note: This section last updated 25th June 2021

Western Sahara - Personal names and forms of address


Person forms of address used in Western Sahara are:

   Sayed     Mr
   Lalla     Miss/Mrs

Sayed is used before the family name or before all names, lalla is used before the given name.

Names are usually shorter than Muslim names in other countries. Family names do exist and are usually written before the given name. Women retain their maiden names after marriage.

   Tables of names can be acquired: given names External, surnames/family names External, family name prefixes External, forms of address External, job titles External

Western Sahara - Addresses

   Note: This section last updated 27th November 2020

Western Saharan addresses may include the abbreviation PK, short for Point Kilométrique (French) or Punto Kilométrico (Spanish), indicating the distance along a road.

Western Sahara - Postal codes


   Note: This section last updated 31st October 2020

Western Sahara - Postal code format graphic


Western Sahara - Postal code format


   Metadata containing postal code formatting rules, exceptions and regular expressions can be acquired External

Western Sahara - Postal code specifics

Western Sahara - Postal code regular expression


Western Sahara - Postal code level of coverage


Western Sahara - Postal code map


Place names in Western Sahara


   Note: This section last updated 2nd November 2014

Samara (السمارة) is Sangherra in Italian.

Properties with value Western Sahara

Every effort is made to keep this resource updated. If you find any errors, or have any questions or requests, please don't hesitate to contact the author.

All information copyright Graham Rhind 2024. Any information used should be acknowledged and referenced.